Pages

Monday, July 4, 2011

I Pledge Allegiance


Well, it's July 4th.  Independence Day!  Today, according to tradition, a good American eats hot dogs, watermelon, corn on the cob, and apple pie at a cook-out or block party.  And the night ends with a fireworks display!

So, Patriot that I am...how am I spending the 4th? Indoors.  In the cool quiet of my air-conditioned home.  Reading and blogging.  Not exactly traditional or bombastic, right?  Ah, but I am exercising my freedoms.

Every day I thank my Lord that I was born in America, where a girl has as many freedoms as the guy next door.  Where opportunity abounds.  Where I can worship, read, think, write, speak, choose, and act as I like -- in comfort and safety.  I'm so proud and grateful to live in this land where I wake up every morning with a prayer on my lips.  And where I daily carry the The Pledge of Allegiance in my heart.  America, my dear Homeland, I thank God for thee.  May God forever bless America!

What I'm trying to say is that celebrating freedom isn't something that needs to be tied to one day or done in one way.  Nor should it be.  Freedom should be something we give thanks for every day.  And Patriotism should not be limited to the red, white, and blue we wear one day of the year,  or shown only by the little flag we wave for a day or a time.  These things should be something we live and breathe. They should be reflected in how we daily live.  Freedom and Patriotism should fuel a fire in us that never flickers out.  The shining light of Lady Liberty, and the hope and promise that God gives us, should be the sparkle in our eyes.  Do Not Forget.  For many in this world, Tyranny is neither a shadowy, not a distant foe.  Let us never lose our steadfast resolve, for if the foe -- whether he be called Evil, Bondage, Tyranny, Terror, or any other name -- should find us sleeping, he shall stamp out the light of Lady Liberty!


Always Remember....

1 comment:

Queen Purple said...

Well said indeed, Dawn! I am so proud of the person that you are.